Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Responding to Arizona's Immigration Law

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." -FDR

I love FDR.

It is this quote that motivated me to write my post. I had some trepidation putting my personal story, my parents story out there for public consumption, especially given the heated nature of this topic and the fact that the commentary is not always respectful. However, after much thought I did put this out there for public consumption because I believe that despite fear we must act. Fear can not keep us paralyzed nor must we allow it to stop us from converting retreat into advance. I wrote this because despite my fear I need to stand up to this unjust law. Despite my fear, like FDR and his wife Eleanor I must fight for a better U.S. Moreover, I end with a call to action, "Our responsibility to fight for civil rights hasn't ended, and will not end as long as we allow fear and hatred to tear us apart. We need to celebrate the immigrants among us as well as our national values of diversity and inclusion. We must have faith in the goodness of our people, and encourage each other to be the best we can be. We must be brave. Let us be the U.S. that so many have come to this shore to find."
About Civil Rights
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment