Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Responding to Arizona's Immigration Law

Petey131, You write "I am Mexican-American. I was born in the USA. I am proud and will not let fear dominate me." I agree with your sentiments. The fact that the emotion of fear comes up for me given the racial profiling that this law engenders and the fact that bigotry and racism still occur in this country will not in anyway dominate me. In this article I am simply writing about what's so. As a proud U.S. born citizen and daughter of immigrants who came to this country in search of the American dream, I will not let fear dominate me either. That it is exists in me as an emotion - that is undeniable. Acknowledging that I now get to choose what I will do with it. And what I will do with it is choose to believe in the words of Ambrose Redmoon, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear," and the words of Margaret Mead, "...that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." It is out of those emotions that I have written this piece and chosen to share my story and that of my parents with the world.
About Civil Rights
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment