Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Responding to Arizona's Immigration Law

As the author of this post, I will reiterate that what I am concerned about is the racial profiling that will come from SB1070. Police Chief Gascón says something similar here: http://bit.ly/9ATgsk.

My thoughts from the original post:

"I do not live in Arizona, the home of a new law that makes it a crime to be without your immigration paperwork if police choose to question your citizenship status, and yet I feel its impact all these miles away. Now, for the first time in my life, there is a level of fear for me attached with being--and looking--Latina. A few times now I have returned home during the day after realizing that I didn't have my U.S. passport on me. Despite being a U.S. citizen, born in this country, I am fearful of having any issues if stopped. This is not the U.S. that I left China for."
About Civil Rights
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment