Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why I am Going to Cochabamba

In a few days, I will leave for Cochabamba, Bolivia.  Although I have always cared about the planet and its well being, this is the first time that I will be involved in climate change advocacy in a significant way since my days in student government at Cornell University where I was involved in passing resolutions on behalf of the environment (for Earth Day), and my days in China (back in the late nineties) where I walked around with Tupperware and metal chopsticks in order to prevent waste and set an example for the students I interacted with each day.  



So after all these years, after more than a decade has passed, why am I now going to Cochabamba Bolivia and the World People's Conference for Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth?

I am inspired not only by the following line in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change's proposal for a Declaration of Rights of Mother Earth, "...the 21st century has to become the century of the Rights of Mother Earth and all natural beings," but also by the opportunity of what I can contribute as a US born Latina of indigenous ancestry.  You see the presence of women with my particular combination of identities is often missing in the mainstream conversations of Climate Change and at Angela Adrar's (@DancingSparrow on twitter) deliberate request a group of us are bringing that missing element to the conversations in Bolivia.  

This is a follow up to the conversation that many of my tech friends began in Copenhagen and like them, I am hopeful that technology will be able to support the important work of the good folks involved in the Climate Change talks.  We do not have time to waste and all of us must do what we can to help.  A few great resources for the conference that I have seen out there to date include @boliviaun on Twitter, as well as the World People's Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth FB fan page and event page.  We have been told by the Bolivian embassy that we will have access to WiFi and press badges.  So my plan is to live tweet several of the sessions and post regular updates to Twitter, FB and my blog.  

If throughout the course of the conference you have any questions, recommendations, etc. just let me know.  The best way to reach me will be through twitter.  You can find me @KetyE

No comments:

Post a Comment