Friday, January 8, 2010
Top 10 Recommendations from a New Media Manager
For the last year and half I have been working as the New Media Manager for a large national nonprofit in DC. During that time, I have been invited to consult for several other non-profits who have seen my work and who have asked me to contribute to their operations. Today I'd like to share with you the top ten list I have often shared with them.
1. If you are going to invest in New Media do it well.
2. Make sure that you have a senior member of your staff who is leading the effort.
3. Acknowledge any cultural differences that may exist as you begin your foray into this new world.
4. Ensure that the CEO/President/Executive Director believes in and will champion the effort (publicly and privately).
5. Identify where the other senior members of the team are as it relates to this effort and determine how you will get buy in.
6. Dream big. Start small.
7. Build relationships with experts in the New Media world: bloggers, social media experts, etc.
8. Provide access to the work your organization is doing to those in New Media.
9. Engage your staff in the work of new media.
10. Commit to investing in this space for the long haul. This is the future. New Media will continue to grow and expand whether or not you decide to play.